Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pack rat

I am a bipolar pack rat. I love stuff! The more stuff, the better! And I don’t mean big screen televisions, artwork, cars and electronic paraphernalia. I like doohickeys… paper things… glass items… old stuff… antique stuff… dug up out of the ground stuff. I’ve rescued a cabinet and hutch from an alleyway that has now been with me for 20 years, gleaned through an abandoned house and confiscated some great kitchen gadgets, and built up my scrapbooking materials while digging through the recycling at work.

Because of my love of stuff, my home IS stuffed! Every shelf, every cupboard and every corner overflows with my treasures. I hate it. I have a very deeply hidden urge to scream so loud and hard that every item is carried away with the vibrations and wind of my scream - blown out of my home never to be seen again. So I purge.

Today is a binge day. A dig in the dumpster, box up the cache and drag it on home day. My treasure hunting today netted me 9 brand new leather bound binders for scrapbooking. Who in the world would throw away unused leather-bound binders still in their boxes? Funeral Directors. No imagination at all.

So today I bring home a huge box of stuff to add to my other stuff. That way I can rebuild the nice geometrically stacked stashes that I decimated during my last purge. Gotta binge to get to the purge.

2 comments: