Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Excuses Not to Write

The dog ate my creative writing assignment. Seriously. I was in the mudroom pouring him a dish of kibble, and heard the oddest crunching noises coming from my bedroom! I rushed to see what the commotion was and found Fido sitting on the keyboard munching on my hard drive. All right, maybe it was my cell phone. Swallowed the SIM card. Waiting for a puppy bowel movement so I could retrieve my list of phone numbers takes up a lot of time.

Maybe I should carry a notepad and pen around the yard while he squats, but I'm not sure I remember how to form words by hand. I vaguely remember kindergarten. Possibly using the tape recorder to dictate my thoughts would help. Typing out a wonderful piece of work later would be more my speed. Nevermind. I hate the sound of my voice when it's taped. Definitely curdles the creative juices.

I'm sure that after Fido does his duty, I'll have plenty of time to sit down and jot down the wonderful ideas bouncing around my head. That is unless poker is going really well today. Tournaments can take a long time. I think it has something to do with reading my opponents expressions when we play. That can be very tricky to do over the Internet. The players get cranky when I post and fold while I whip up a story or two. I most certainly wouldn't want to be rude.

Once the tournament is over and I collect my 10 points, I'll have loads of time to be creative. Well shoot, speaking of loads The laundry needs to be done. I'll get the clothes folded and put away and then dish up stories. Or maybe I'll just cook and dish up dinner instead because by then my husband will be home from work. Writing can wait till tomorrow. I need to spend time with my darling husband, don't I? There's plenty of time to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment